Wednesday, April 15, 2009

An insurance miracle

OK, perhaps I'm being a little bit over-the-top. I don't think anything involving insurance can really be considered miraculous. And I certainly can't complain -- at least I have some insurance coverage for this crazy baby-making money extravaganza.

But, complain I will. Yesterday in the mail I received a lovely bill from the anesthesiologist from the retrieval for $720. It had a nice little note ALL IN CAPS informing me that coverage had been denied, and it was my responsibility, and PLEASE PAY RIGHT NOW, NOT LATER.

This didn't sound right to me, and I verified in my insurance docs that anesthesia was not excluded, so I called the insurance company, then the anesthesiologist's office, and three miraculous things happened:

1. The insurance company rep was nice, and I was actually smiling when I hung up the phone.

2. The anesthesiologist billing lady was nice (although it sounded like she'd had a 3 pack-a-day habit for the last 40 years), and I was also smiling when I hung up the phone.

3. Both agreed that it was some sort of glitch, and that everything should be covered and straightened out right away, at no expense to me.

All of this transpired in under 10 minutes, and I didn't even have to go all bitch on them. I tells ya, an insurance miracle.

7 comments:

Emily said...

It IS a miracle! Hooray for nice people who do their jobs!

Carrie said...

You are right, a miracle! My insurance co sent me a letter recently to remind me that I have no fertility coverage... just in case I forgot about the 15k we spent on it!

Maybe you should go to the DOL today- you'd get the nicest person!

Hugs!
Carrie

My Endo Journey said...

INDEED it is!!!!

Amber said...

That's awesome! Glad to hear it went well.

Jo said...

Ya takes your miracles wheres ya gets 'em, in my humble opinion.

I see you've been smiling a lot lately -- what's up with THAT? (wink, wink).

Thinking of you.

Hugs,
Jo

Tracy said...

Complete miracle! I had the same type of thing happen today with my HSG. Wires crossed and I don't owe a dime!

sunflowerchilde said...

OMG, that IS a miracle! Please send me some of your luck! (And maybe some of your insurance?)