Thursday, April 2, 2009

Then She Found Me

Life is funny. I went to Blockbuster on Monday night to rent a pile of movies for my two days at home. I was a totally selfish renter, and pretty much stuck with the chick flicks (except "Milk," which I'm hoping the Mr. will watch with me tomorrow night).

I had read Elinor Lipman's novel Then She Found Me a few years ago, and loved her story of a woman in her late thirties being found by her birth mother. It was unusual and quirky and funny (as Elinor Lipman's books tend to be). I heard a couple of years ago that Helen Hunt was producing a directing a movie adaptation, and had been meaning to see it. It passed through theaters quickly, and I kind of forgot about it.

Fast forward to Monday, when I was doing a lap around the "New Releases" section -- and there it was. A perfect addition to my chick flick fest!

I watched the movie yesterday (randomly picked it from the pile), and it can't be a coincidence that I ended up watching a poignant movie about love, loss, adoption, miscarriage, IUI and getting older on the day after my transfer. Although parts of it were a little tough to watch, I though it was a beautiful little movie and I really admired Helen Hunt for taking it on and allowing herself to look so, well, old. I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone struggling with fertility -- like I said, a little hard to watch in places -- but I found it to be kind of grounding.

Oh, and it had Colin Firth in it. Yum. I might recommend it after all!

4 comments:

My Endo Journey said...

I second the "yum" on Colin Firth!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope your bed-rest days are passing quickly! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Carrie said...

I am glad you are finding good things to entertain you on the BR! That book sounds awesome- I am not familiar with it, but our tastes seem similar. ;)

Thanks for the sweet words on my blog.

Hugs,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I think I might have to read that book. I just discovered Kaye Gibbons. She is an amazing author. All of her books are very interesting and well written.