Tuesday, March 31, 2009

2 little blasties sitting in my ute; blobs of cells that are so cute!

OK, so I'm still feeling pretty happy from the Va.lium. Everything went smoothly this morning -- thanks so much for all the good thoughts!

In case anyone's curious about the play-by-play, here goes:

We got to the clinic super-early (8:15 for a 9:30 transfer) -- so early, in fact, that the doctor called me on my cell phone with an embryo update when I was sitting in the waiting room! She told us that we had two superstar blasts, and then another 2 or 3 that we will likely be able to freeze either later today or tomorrow. She recommended we transfer 2 -- I relayed that to the Mr. and then headed off to acupuncture to think on it for a bit.

Acupuncture was fun today -- I had a different acupuncturist who'd worked for the San Francisco 49ers for a while, so we chatted about that. I got needles in different places -- on top of my head for the first time, which she called an "implantation crown." I chilled with the needles for about 30 minutes, said a few prayers, and decided that my gut was telling me to go with 2.

I debated whether or not I needed a Va.lium after acupuncture, and decided that my bladder discomfort alone was probably reason enough, so down the hatch it went. I floated on back to the waiting room, sat and snuggled with the Mr. for a bit, and then we headed back to the transfer room.

The tech took a quick look at the sonogram, and told me that I could go pee for 5 seconds if I wanted to. No need to ask me twice! I shuffled out and did my thing, went back and got told that I could pee even more. Apparently my 58 or so ounces were doing what they were supposed to do.

Finally, we got down to business. The doctor (a new one) came in and went over a few more details, and gave us a picture of our beautiful blasts. One was huge (I'd post a picture if I wasn't flat on my back), and the other was not far behind. We made the final call to do both.

By this time, the Va.lium had kicked in and I was feeling like a million bucks. Never have my feet so easily gone into stirrups, and I swear the speculum was not at all unpleasant. A miracle. The doctor swabbed me out with some cold stuff, which totally tickled (I told you the Val.ium was good), and gave the catheter a quick test. What happened next was the coolest thing ever -- the embryologist came in, confirmed who we were, and left while the doctor put in the catheter for real. You could see the little tube going in on the ultrasound. The embryologist came back with the blasts, handed them to the doctor, and then we watched them wend their merry little way down the tube and pop out into my ute. So frickin' cool.

The Dr. said it went "perfectly," and they all left me to lie on the table for a few minutes. The Mr. and I totally had a moment -- I cried, I laughed, he teared up. It was one of the most special things we've experienced together.

I went back for another round of needles, and conked out with a big smile on my face.

So now we wait. And wait. Beta is next Thursday the 9th at 7:00 a.m. I hope there are enough movies at Blockbuster to get me through. I'm sure I'll be blogging all about them here.


Anonymous said...

Great news!
I'll be waiting to hear how it all goes.

Fingers crossed.

littlesteps said...

Sounds like everything went great! Next Thurs seems forever away, doesn't it? I hope it goes fast with all those movies.

Carrie said...

Yay!!! I am so excited that your transfer went so well and the blasties are all snuggled in for the long haul! The waiting is NO good, but watch some TV, and enjoy being "pregnant until proven otherwise"! Hugs!


babyinterrupted said...

Woo hoo! Sounds like everything went really well. I'll be waiting with (and for!) you. Hopefully it will be a fantastic Easter for both of us. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, it went well! And you have two little embryos burrowing in...I hope for a good long time. I was wondering if you're at the same clinic as me (UCS.F), but mine requires 14 days after transfer for the beta. At least you "only" have to wait nine more!

Hoping your wait goes nice and quick, with a BFP at the end!

Tracy said...

Sounds like everything went great and your super blasties are snuggling in! Can't wait to hear your excellent beta results next Thursday!


Kelli said...

Hooray for beautiful blasties!! Get cozy babies...you're going to be there for a while!

Jo said...

I am so glad to hear things went well!!! Hoping and praying for your little miracle!


Megan said...

Congratulations and good luck!!!

Flower said...

Great news!!!Sending you positive thoughts and prayers

sunflowerchilde said...

Awesome! Great story. And only about a week to go (I know, it's not really "only"). I'll be really excited to hear what happens next Thursday! Good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! Good luck with the bed rest.

My Endo Journey said...

So touching and amazing!!!!