Saturday, March 28, 2009

What to wear when you look like you're pregnant but you're actually not

As anyone who has ever ingested infertility meds can tell you, that shit can wreak some serious havoc on your girlish figure. Mine wasn't exactly girlish to begin with, as I emotionally ate my way through the first two years of our infertility, but the last five months of Clo.mid and stims have certainly not helped the situation.

Not that this came as any surprise. The swelling and bloat potential of infertility treatment have been well-documented. As has the sweet, sweet irony of appearing knocked up when NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. So I went into the stims phase of IVF prepared.

Prepared to SHOP.

In case my shopping adventures can be of any help to those on the brink or in the midst of bloat-dom, I hereby present my five favorite (and mostly newly acquired) articles of clothing for the Pregnant-Looking Woman Who Isn't Pregnant (PLWWIP).

#5 -- The Flowy Dress

It's a good thing that the last week has been sunny and warm in Northern California, because I have worn these two dresses all week. The beauty of them (other than the obvious coverage capabilities) is that they can be mixed and matched almost infinitely. My boss, a major clotheshorse, even complimented me on my outfits this week.

Bonus on the J.Crew dress -- it's convertible and can be a dress or skirt or shirt or really anything you want it to be (except a baby).

#4 -- Scarf, Scarf Baby

Scarves -- they're not just for Hollywood waifs! They are also for us PLWWIPs. What else can cover both enlarged ta-tas and engorged abdomen for under 20 bucks? My favorites have actually been from Target.


Is there anything Target can't do, particularly if you avoid the baby department?

#3 -- The New Cardigan

What do you call these newfangled garments, that are part-cardigan, part-shrug? I don't know. I call them the New Cardigan, and I love them dearly. They work particularly well with a scarf, particularly if your arms aren't making you happy (as mine certainly are not). My two favorites came from a Banana Republic outlet, but they're everywhere. The best ones for our purposes have sort of a widening cowl that drapes inwards at the stomach -- I can't for the life of me find a picture that depicts this, but if you want to come over and take a tour of my closet I'd be happy to show you.

#2 -- The Mom Jeans

OK, I'm a little embarrassed about this. And I SWEAR I'm not wearing these because I really really really want to be a mom (although I do). I was at Ross (Dress for Less!) a couple of weeks ago and found these beauts -- jeans with a magic hidden panel that sucks in both your tum-tum and the dreaded muffin top. And you can't even tell they're mom jeans when you're fully outfitted -- although you might not ever be able to escape the shame.

#1 -- The Yummie Tummie

I know I've sung its praises before, but I really can't gush over this contraption enough. I've got both the tank and boyfriend tank in the long version, and I just feel like the hottest infertile on the block when I'm wearing them. They are expensive ($62 for the basic model), but I'm not even a little bit sorry I bought them.

Of course, I haven't gotten my credit card bill yet.

So, there's my list. I'm sure there are many, many other fantastic clothes for us PLWWIPs. Please share if you've discovered any!

5 comments:

Jo said...

What a great post! I love, love, love that J.Crew dress and am waiting until payday -- then that baby is MINE!

I've also been playing with scarves lately as they do an amazing job at covering my increasing girth.

I've got two of the cowl-like cardigans you are talking about -- I bought mine at Old Navy on clearance ($15 each) and love them to death.

As for mom jeans, I don't have any (yet). . .but I do have a pair of maternity pants that I wear. Shhh. . .don't tell anyone!

You've got me curious about the Yummie Tummie. . .once I find out where we are going after this cycle, I may have to make the investment.

Hugs,
Jo

Carrie said...

You are a complete genius. I am running out of flowy shirts to hide my giant OHSS belly, so these ideas are so welcomed!! My mom just brought me a scarf, and I think you guys are onto something. THANKS!!!

Since I am SO very newly pregnant, I am tempted to pull out the maternity jeans, but after a few miscarriages, I am all jinxy and lame. I hope this baby stays and the belly becomes more baby less bloat! :)

Loved this post!

Hugs,
Carrie

Hillary said...

lol, I love this list!! I'm not to that stage in treatments yet but I will remember your suggestions when the day comes. :) I had the opposite problem today -- I wanted to wear a flowey shirt but got scared that people might think I was pg just cause I was wearing it. I instead wore a tight shirt to show my lack of belly.

http://makingmemom.blogspot.com
ICLW

Anonymous said...

Perfect! Yep, my lower belly is SO swollen I've been wearing PJs around the house all day. Hasn't the weather been fantastic?! (I'm in the North Bay). There's a Banana Outlet up the road, so I might need need to venture out for the new cardigan.

Enjoy your new goodies!

Faith said...

Ah, I love it! The jersey dress is my friend, no doubt -- am also rocking the spring scarves!!! Thanks for a smile.