Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Well played, Barnes & Noble

I was in Barnes & Noble over the weekend, hoping to find some sort of grandmother-to-be book for my mom. (I didn't find one, by the way -- at least not one that wasn't full of sappy kissy photos and vapid poems.) It was a different and much larger B&N than the one I typically frequent, and as such I was a little disoriented. I headed to the Women's Health section, figuring that the pregnancy books would be there, as per usual. But nope -- plenty of trying-to-get-pregnant and infertility tomes, but no pregnancy.

So, off I went to the handy little search computer, and plugged in "What to Expect When You're Expecting." Because every bookstore has that one, right? Turns out it was sitting in the Children's section, along with all of the other pregnancy books, all the way across the store.

Barnes & Noble, I applaud you. I have bought, I don't know, ten books on infertility in the last 18 months or so, and nothing has made me feel more crappy than having to pull a copy of "Infertility for Dummies" (yes, I do have that one) out from between a copy of "What to Expect" and "The New Age Baby Name Book." I mean, you wouldn't put books about fighting alcoholism next to books about mixology, would you?

I'm usually not much of an activist type, but I think this is one of those things I might start asking to "speak to a manager" about when I see it happening. You know, just a gentle suggestion. Because a trip to the bookstore shouldn't have to be a blow to the gut.

7 comments:

L.A. Mommy said...

You've written about 2 of my fave things - babies & books so I had to leave a comment. I think your point is well-made. There's not enough sensitivity to the plight of mommy-wannabe's struggling with IF. It's nice to know B&N got it right. Thanks for the post!

Ms. Perky said...

well-played, indeed.

I just wanted to say - I've been reading your updates ... but I haven't been able to comment b/c of technical difficulties on my end. But I'm very sorry about the loss of Baby B. I know how hard that is. I'm thrilled that your little Peanut is thriving, though, and I can't wait to read as this pregnancy progresses.

Carrie said...

Totally agree! I remember walking to the pregnancy section to try to find IF books and having to go elsewhere, happily. Way to go BN. I also love Amazon since the aisles are virtual. ;)

Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

I will never forget the sucker punch I felt when I bought a book on infertility years ago and had to go to the pregnancy category.

This is very well done, indeed.

My Endo Journey said...

That's why I always ordered from Amazon! ;)

Summer Athena said...

just found your blog. love it. very happy for you! this is great news!

i just had my first IUI (2 days in a row) and if this does not work, we schedule our IVF cycle.

wishing the best for you!

Keiko Zoll said...

Tonight I had to go buy children's books for a shower this weekend, and thought I'd take a peek at some IF books while I was there. Not only was the IF section in the middle of the Pregnancy & Parenting Section, it was right next to the Children's section.

I was reminded of your post, and I'm taking this on as a campaign, b/c damn, this is just offensive. I'll prolly link to your post, actually :)