Monday, May 4, 2009

Scary morning

I woke up this morning at 4:30 to catch my planned 6:30 flight to LA, and had a big brown spot in my underwear. Needless to say, I freaked. I haven't had any sort of spotting at any point during the whole IVF process (and I've never been a spotter in general), so I feared the worst.

I told the Mr. what was going on, then hopped in the shower, still hemming and hawing about whether to take my work trip (big 10:30 meeting). When I got out of the shower, the spotting had increased -- still brown, but maybe progressing. And I was feeling a bit of cramping. At this point, I decided to cancel my trip. The Mr. wanted to go to the ER, but all I could think of was that if we were going to get bad news, I didn't want to hear about it from some random doc in some random hospital.

At about 5:30, I had my RE paged. He was super (as usual) -- said that spotting was totally normal, told me to stop taking the low-dose aspirin I'd been taking, and said that if things hadn't improved by 8:00, to call and make an appt for an ultrasound. (I was scheduled for Thursday, but no effing way was I going to wait this out). Things did improve -- the spotting slowed/stopped -- but I still made an appointment for 10:30.

Everything looks OK. Peanut A is going strong, measuring 7w3d and beating away at 147 BPM. Peanut B is still lagging behind at 6w6d. We saw B's heartbeat for the first time, at 127 BPM. (And we heard both HBs for the first time, which is easily the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.) The RE (different one for today's appt) doesn't think we need to worry at this point, but still thinks we need to wait and see how things develop with B. So we'll have another ultrasound early next week.

We talked a little bit about what might have caused the spotting. I did have kind of an active day yesterday -- a longer-than-average workout, followed by a bunch of errands, which included lifting some heavy grocery bags that I probably shouldn't have. I was just feeling good for the first time in a few days (less nausea, a little more energy), and overdid it a little, I guess. The RE also reminded me that in twin pregnancies, spotting and cramping are more likely, since there's a lot more going on in there. I'm supposed to take it easy for the next few days, whatever that means.

So, I'm home, drinking diet ginger ale, missing my meeting, but happy that things are OK for the moment.

I have a feeling a long nap is going to be in order this afternoon.


Amber said...

So glad to hear that things are going okay and you heard their heartbeats! That has to be so exciting!!

Get some rest and enjoy your free time!

Carrie said...

Oh GAWD, I hate spotting. It terrifies me to the core. Even thought I spotted this time, all seems to be very well, as it sounds with you!! I've been told with the trips that spotting is more common, too.

I am so glad babies A and B are doing well, beating hearts and cuteness. Keep your feet up and DO take a long nap- you deserve it!


Emily said...

I am so sorry you had some spotting, but so glad you got to hear BOTH babies hb!!

Why does spotting have to happen to us?

I think you made a good decision to cancel and head to the RE. Enjoy your day off - feet up, of course!

Kelli said...

I'm so glad everything is ok and you were able to hear both heartbeats!! Praying for baby B to catch up and for both to continue developing strong!

ps. Hope you enjoyed your looonngg nap!

Anonymous said...

So glad it was just a scare!

djordan said...

So glad everything is OK, that is really scary.

My Endo Journey said...

I'm so glad that everything turned out okay! I would have made an apt too. Better safe! Rest up and take care!

C said...

i'm so glad everything is alright! take it easy :)

babyinterrupted said...

Yikes - very scary. So glad everything is okay.

Flower said...

So glad everything is okay

Anonymous said...

Oh, how scary! I'm so glad everything turned out OK, and that you were able to get into the RE right away. Health always comes first (of course), but I know that it can be really stressful to consider not attending important meetings.

Hope you got some nice rest and things are back to normal today!