Friday, May 22, 2009

Graduation day

Yesterday we made the big leap from RE to OB. It was....different.

First of all, everything's great with the baby. Measuring 10w1d, heartbeat still strong, and (s)he is starting to actually look like something that might someday resemble an actual baby.

But the appointment was WEIRD. I've been going to my OB/GYN for years now -- she's not exactly a warm and fuzzy person, but she's thorough. Which is really all I care about at this point. But her office looks like something out of the Golden Girls -- pink walls, flowered couches, fake flower arrangements, quilts hanging on the wall, etc. And pregnancy magazines EVERYWHERE. I flipped through one while we were waiting, but I totally felt like an imposter.

Then I went in to check my vitals. Frighteningly, I've gained 13 POUNDS since we started our IVF cycle. I think most of this came on before the pregnancy happened, but I have got to slow things the heck down. The nurse asked me if my husband was the baby's father, to which I replied "Yes, unless the clinic really had an off day." I got a chuckle. I always like to see if I can get these folks to crack a smile.

Then came the consult with the OB. Her first comment: "You've worked really hard for this pregnancy." Um, yes. Yes we have. She handed us a big gift bag marked "BABY!" and filled with all kinds of crap. We went through all of the crap. Because, you know, in 7 months I'm going to start needing to worry about a pediatrician. I got a big lecture about exercise (yes, I know I'm already fat, but you try spotting after every time you work out and SEE HOW EXCITED YOU ARE ABOUT IT).

Then, onto the show. I didn't realize we were going to be doing a full pelvic exam, and didn't really think much of it until HOLY SPECULUM DO YOU REALIZE I HAVEN'T HAD SEX IN THREE MONTHS?!?! Followed by the doctor "checking my pelvis," which apparently means sticking her entire forearm up my cha cha and rooting around for the placement of my pelvic bones. Then, finally, came the ultrasound. Which went pretty much as expected, except for I now have a new appreciation for just how fancy the RE equipment is. And we only got ONE stinking picture.

Although it is pretty cute.

So, I don't know. I guess I'm supposed to be a "normal pregnant person" now, but I'm just not feelin' it. Anyway, next step is an appointment with the perinatologist for my NT screening, which will be something new and exciting to worry about. That will hopefully be late next week or the week after.

And then we come out to the family.....

16 comments:

hope4joy said...

Congrats on your graduation day. I have followed your blog for about a month and I owe you a big Thank You! Your posts have enlighted me and made me laugh.

A said...

haha u crack me up the way you describe ur appointment! :) Lets see that "one stinking picture" soon! Congratulations on your GRADUATION day!! and thanks for the chuckle!!

Michele said...

Congrats on graduation day! I love our OB, but he is a High Risk OB, which I think explains a lot of his behavior. He's wonderful. But your visit sounds a lot like my girlfriend, who tried for a long time and suffered 2 m/c before her third pregnancy which is now 36w along. It was hard for her to go from constant care to being a "normal" pregnant person.

Amber said...

Awesome! Sounds like everything went great yesterday!

"Jay" said...

Congratulations on graduating! I have been following your blog for a while and am very excited for you!

Usually the female ob/gyn's are all business! Get in, get out. She sounds like she left no stone unturned!!!

babyinterrupted said...

Okay, now 'Thank you for being a friend' will be stuck in my head all day. :) Happy graduation day!

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your graduation! I'm so glad it went well.

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how weird it must feel to be in the land of regular pregnant people. Thing is you have changed from this and you will probably always look at your pregnancy differently- in a good way. Congratulations and I hope you can tell your family with excitement and joy. You have earned those shouts of joy and love mixed with tears.

Carrie said...

So glad the appointment went well! I love the crack you made about the father of the baby... you gotta get some smiles out of them! :)

Have a great, long weekend. I just got through my NT scan and can't wait for you to get past it too... big relief. You will, though! That is one strong and healthy baby you've got! :)

Beautiful Mess said...

Happy graduation day! I'm really sorry to learn about the other baby. Sending you hugs and lots of thoughts. Here's to an uneventful res of your pregnancy! *raises class of water*
*ICLW*

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the graduation. I imagine when I leave my clinic, it will be bittersweet.

As for the 13 pounds? I think that is about what I have gained as well.

Kate said...

Congratulations on your wonderful graduation and cha cha rummaging. Um, actually, strike that last part, not sure that is something good, but it MEANS something good--
and I am not sure any of us out here in IF land can ever feel like a normal pregnant person but wouldn't that be great.

Congratulations, truly,

Warmly, Kate

IF Optimist, then... said...

I love the cha cha comment, I whooped out loud at the coffee house and now everyone is staring at me like I am a crazywoman. Congrats on graduating to OB land.

Alana said...

"Cha cha" ROFL!

Congrats on your pregnancy and on "graduating" to OB status. :)

*ICLW*

Emily said...

happy graduation day!!! love the detailed story of your visit - LOL!
so glad everything is going well.
strange to be a regular pg woman, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Happy Graduation Day! I'm happy to hear things are going well. While I'm still waiting, I do know what you mean about the OB waiting rooms. When I went in for my HSG, I had to go to a different office since my clinic doesn't do them. Turns out the office is a traditional OB's office...I have never seen such a combination of floral wallpaper and pregnant ladies in my life. My husband went with me, and we both felt like imposters.

Congrats again, and I wish you all the best!

-Callie
ICLW