Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm not flaky and irresponsible, just pregnant

Thanks for everyone's kind words yesterday. I'm feeling MUCH better today (4 back-to-back chick flicks in bed will do that for a person). I am a little queasy, but that's actually more of a relief than anything else at this point.

I decided, after all of the convoluted excuses I had to make yesterday to justify cancelling a flight and a meeting, to come out to my boss today. It's way earlier than I would have liked, but it's looking like monitoring is going to be a pretty regular part of my life, and in this economy (and right before review period) I would hate to be coming across as flaky. I am EXTREMELY Type A at work. Since my boss is 3,000 miles away, I had more or less been able to finesse all of the IVF appointments, but it was just starting to get ridiculous.

She was great. Thrilled for me, told me I could work from home whenever I wanted, told me to stop hopping on planes -- basically a big love-fest. I'm so relieved -- I didn't expect her to be not great about it, but I didn't really know what to expect.

I haven't told the folks that work for me yet -- I don't really need to make excuses to them about appointments out of the office, right? -- but probably will in the next month or so. I'm sure they know something's up -- I just don't want them to think that that something is that I'm looking for a new job.

It's a little weird that my boss knows I'm knocked up but most of my family does not. These past few months have been really weird that way.

5 comments:

My Endo Journey said...

I'm sure it feels good to tell her and not feel guilty all the time with apts and such (that's how I would feel). That is so awesome she is so supportive and flexible!!!!!

Carrie said...

That is great! I am so glad she knows what is going on and being as supportive as she should be.

No need to tell those who work for you for a while, right? You could just say "doctor's appointments" so they know you are not interviewing or something.

Big hugs!
Carrie

K said...

What a huge relief to have told her....and OMG what a great boss!!!

Me said...

Awesome news! It always helps to have a supportive boss and work team when you're going through all of this! Glad she was great about it.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad your boss was supportive - that can make all the difference. One of my biggest fears is telling my business partners and clients, they will all think FIRST about themselves and how it will impact them. Is your boss a mom herself? I think that can make a big difference.

Yay!