Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The things people say (and a foot confession)

Sort of like the day before my beta, I am feeling pretty zen today about tomorrow's ultrasound. This could be because I was up until 12:30 last night (a full 3 hours past my bedtime, thankyouverymuch), or maybe because I'm excited to see the fabulous Ms. Britney Spears in concert tonight. I hope it will be train wreck-alicious. It seemed like a good idea at the time when my friend bought the tickets six months ago.....

I did have one extremely annoying work interaction today. One of the lawyers in my office is unexpectedly expecting identical twins. I hadn't seen her in a while, and asked how she was feeling. I got a 10-minute diatribe on how pregnancy is "awful," how "people should really know that twins can happen and it's such a curse," and how no one in the family (including her 2-year-old daughter) is happy about the pregnancy. Seriously? Not even a little bit happy? No one?

I know I can't understand her circumstances -- obviously, having never been accidentally pregnant myself -- so I'm trying to reserve judgement. But it will be pretty funny if it turns out tomorrow that I'm having twins (not likely, but still within the realm of possibility). Do I get to tell her how mother-effing happy I am about it?!? For 10 minutes?!?

Now on to the feet. I've had several lovely comments about my toes in recent blog posts. Thank you. As someone who grew up with a stepmother who regularly told her how ugly her feet were, it's nice to now have feet that I can take a picture of and post for all of the world wide web to see.

But, I have a confession. I do not paint my toes myself. I spend an ungodly amount of money on pedicures -- they're even factored into my monthly budget. And I don't just get a regular old pedicure -- I get the super spa pedicure with the sea salt scrub, paraffin wax, and extra leg massage. My big concession to the tanking economy has been to stretch my pedis to every 3 weeks (instead of every two).

The Mr. thinks I'm ridiculous, and he's probably right. I try to justify that I work really long hours, that I deserve a bit of relaxation in the midst of all of the infertility crap, that I'm supporting the economy and am a good tipper, and that it's good for my feet (probably the lamest justification ever). But it's my little ritual and I love it.

I blame my stepmother. And have her take me for a pedicure whenever I'm in town.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Get your pampering where you can!

Emily said...

I love myself a pedi - do not understand women who have never had one. They are a necessity in my book.

How did you refrain from slapping her? Hard? Some people don't know how lucky they are.

Thinking good thoughts for you for your u/s! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

I need to try a ped. I have never done one. I can hear the Gasp of Emily now ;)

Stopping by for an ICLW visit...
No. 28: The Unfair Struggle (male-factor, friendship, day to day life)

K said...

Pedis are a must...take all of them that you need/want and never apologize for it. And while you're at it, slap the biyatch in your office then DO wax on about your twins for at least 20-30 minutes. Make her sorry ass excuse for a parent walk away while you're talking to her. :)

Anonymous said...

My husband likes to get pedicures. To me it is crazy that anyone would publicy compain about a pregnancy. Don't they realize how bad that sounds? I mean even if you have private thoughts with your husband, do you really want to go around telling people? What if your babies end up with something wrong with them?
Good luck tomorrow.

Carrie said...

Please run to that Fertile wench's office and shout the news, twins or not and tell her HOW HAPPY you are, which is the correct reaction to pregnancy. What a crazy!

As for the toes- good for you! I try to paint mine to save money, but they always look so much better when done by a professional! I think I might have to go get one now... you are inspiring me.

Has your stepmother seen Cinderella?

Big hugs, and BEST wishes for tomorrow. Can't wait to hear about it!!!

Carrie

Anonymous said...

I will so go for a pedicure with you.

My toes are crossed for your scan tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I live in Rochester. The closest Fingerlakes are Conesus and Honeoye. But we drive to Seneca and Keuka at least once a year for a wine tour.

My Endo Journey said...

Pedicures ROCK. And, yes, you can talk to that woman for 20 minutes. DO IT!!! For me?! :)

Alana said...

Much congrats on your BFP!

And good for you budgeting the pedicures----you deserve it! :)

ICLW

SS said...

Good luck tomororw! And can't wait to hear how Britney was. She sure looks amazing these days.

Celia said...

Pedicures are awesome!

And I would totally tell that woman for ten minutes MINIMUM that pregnancy is great, you are glowing, thrilled, etc.

Kate said...

Thinking of you today and hoping all is perfectly wondrously great.
warmly,
Kate

Emily said...

Thinking of you today! Hoping & praying that is was a wonderful u/s!

jenn said...

I wish I could relax durring a pedi. I've had one and it was amazing except for one thing. I was cursed with the worlds most tickleish feet. Everytime the poor little lady touched my feet I swqeeled and twitched. Everyone there thought I was insane. I love the way they look and feet after. I'm really trying to get brave enough to try agian beacuse I really want one.

Jess said...

I'm with you 100%! I also love a good pedicure and spend way too much money on my feet, but I love it! I go in every 3 weeks to get fills for my nails and my pedicure and it is my favorite thing to do (I also go all out and get the works)! I also put this expenditure in my budget! :)

My husband is a good sport about it because he loves it when I scratch his back!