Monday, July 27, 2009

Still a miracle, even if it makes me miserable

My co-worker, who is 41 weeks pregnant and scheduled to be induced tomorrow, gave me a copy of Pregnancy Sucks: When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable last week. Because it is my wont to semi-obsessively research every major purchase/event in my life, I tore into it over the weekend. Overall, it's pretty good -- similar in content to The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy, but a bit more, I don't know, mature in tone. (I don't know if anyone else reacted similarly, but I found the Girlfriends' Guide to be a little, well, silly. And full of some bad advice, such as not worrying about exercising because you might hurt the baby and you're going to gain so much weight that you might as well give up. But anyway.)

Now, perhaps it is because I am in the "honeymoon" of my pregnancy (so they say), or maybe it's the whole infertility thing, but I'm having a hard time being truly miserable about anything this pregnancy has thrown my way. Even when I was bleeding during the first tri, and yes, even when we lost the twin (which was terrible), I have been so incredibly grateful. And usually hopeful. And endlessly fascinated by the things my body is doing.

Don't get me wrong -- I will continue to make fun of my giant knockers and the fact that my thighs are rubbing together and that I have sex dreams about Sacha Baron Cohen and that I am GROWING LONG, DARK HAIR ON MY BELLY. But I'm totally not miserable. So I think I'll keep to reading the book at home, lest anyone spotting me on the train think that I am a pregnancy ingrate.

Now watch me gain 37 pounds in my third trimester. Then I guess we'll have to revisit the topic of misery.

18 comments:

Carrie said...

You crack me up. I read one of those, too, and while I find the whole humorous pregnancy thing entertaining, I cannot stop just feeling SO grateful that I don't want to complain, you know?

But I feel you on the giant knockers. I had to order a new bra and well, it fit on my head like a hat. Mmmmm hmm. We are HOT ladies these days!

Keep up the good baby growing work, Lady! :)

hope4joy said...

I think infertility and going through IVF makes you more willing to accept the " burdens" of pregnancy. I hope to be in your shoes one day.

K said...

Sacha Baron Cohen? OMG!

Ashley said...

Love the new shoe pic;) Glad to know I'm not the only one in the belly hair situation!! My doctor told me to bleach it...when I work up the courage I'll let you know how that goes!! Bring on the burdens..it's so worth it!!

Faith said...

Good for you. And you crack me up!

My Endo Journey said...

LMAO about Sacha Cohen!!! ;)

Glad to hear someone, finally, say that they are grateful to be pregnant. That's all I ever hear from pregnant friends...how MISERABLE they are. I know it sucks...but, own it!

PS-loving the new pic!

SS said...

i definitely think the infertility plays a factor in not being miserable, no matter what, in pregnancy. I was told constantly when pregnant with my son that I was the happiest pregnant person anyone had seen! THis time around not so sure you could say the same thing

Anonymous said...

Sacha Baron Cohen? Really?

He does have a hairy belly, too ... maybe that's it ... :)

A said...

HAHA! Glad you arent miserable!! :)

Mo said...

Awesome post! Great to catch up with you after our trip! I hear you. I don't think there's anything that could make me feel miserable about this pregnancy. I feel just soo soo lucky. Thanks for stopping by our blog and four your wonderful comment, btw : )

Mo

Unknown said...

I think some people are just more whiny to begin with. That and the social conditioning to think pregnancy and labor are horrifically difficult.

Michele said...

I agree. Once you know what true misery is, a healthy pregnancy cannot take you to that place. At all.

Emily said...

Great post. I felt the same way about Belly Laughs - sure it was good for a few chuckles, but it mostly annoyed me.
What is with the hairy belly? My belly looks like my arms! I had no idea this happened - I guess all our body hair is growing like someone sprinkled miracle grow on us :)

Anonymous said...

'I'd like to think that one day when I am lucky enough to be successfully pregnant I too will welcome the nauea and other things that come my way. I wish you well in your pregnancy.

babyinterrupted said...

Glad to hear you're doing well. I love the new shoe/foot photo! Too cute. And I'm glad you're not miserable.

Now. Are you having sex dreams about Borat or Bruno? Because they're both disturbing, but in completely different ways. :)

Kate said...

seriously cute sandals.
and
I swear I should come by more often. I love your voice and this post made me laugh and also made me think I hope I remember the title of the book should my time come--

and seriously, your dreams cracked me up and I did not know I was crackable today. THANK YOU

warmly,
Kate

Brooke said...

Thanks for the laugh you made my day. If it makes you feel better I have a treasure trail for years and no I am not pregnant! Keep up the positive energy

Kristen's Raw said...

You're funny... I like your attitude. :)