Monday, October 26, 2009

I guess now we have to have a baby.....

Because otherwise, what would we do with all the stuff?

This weekend, we went from empty nursery to packed baby warehouse in under 24 hours. Yesterday morning, I was getting ready to go to my baby shower (which was beautiful -- thanks Mom even though I really hope you're not reading this) when I got the call from the baby furniture store telling us our furniture was in and ready for delivery. Only a short 12 weeks after placing the order! So, about an hour after getting back from the shower and unloading the loot (which was plentiful and PINK), the delivery guy arrived and assembled everything.

(And about 8 seconds after that, one of our cats had already jumped onto the crib rail and started walking the perimeter, before jumping in and making herself a little fort amongst the bedding packages. Sigh.)

It's all starting to seem a bit more real. Which feels mostly great, but also a little....unsettling. I've had more than one friend tell me that at some point in my pregnancy, I will freak the heck out about having a baby. Could this be the time?

If so, I feel like the most ungrateful schmuck ever.

10 comments:

Kerri said...

My cat decided she loves the changing table. I'm wondering how I'm going to keep her off of all of his stuff. She's so fascinated by it all. Oh, and don't worry- I have most definitely had a couple of "freak out" moments during this pregnancy, which caused me to feel guilty and ungrateful. But I'm over it- it's totally normal to feel that way.

Sue said...

I've heard that we are as susceptible to the freakouts as any pregnant lady...but we stress them more because we worked so damn hard! So, it is totally normal. I haven't exactly had a freakout yet...but I'm still in the comfy second trimester and it doesn't feel real to me. I'm sure mine is coming....

Great news on the furniture finally arriving and the shower. You cat sounds like he/she is going to have a ball with all the new stuff.

K said...

Well at least if you HAVE to, you are all ready! ;) Sounds like quite the loot!

Brooke said...

You might flip for a brief second but I think truly it will be excitement not fear. I think you are just in disbelief that you are going to have a daughter soon. Glad you had a great shower. Mine is this sunday and I am so excited!

Amber said...

How exciting!! I am sure it's a little overwhelming but how nice that everything is coming together. Will you be sharing pictures of the nursery?

My Endo Journey said...

I've freaked out already! So, I hear ya on the smuck thing ;) But, it's totally normal! Doesn't make you a bad person or hateful or ungrateful!

Hoooray for pink fun things and new things for kitties to climb on!

Busted Tube said...

Congratulations on all the furniture arriving safely! Freakouts will happen to all of us I'm sure- better now than later, perhaps?

Emily said...

Hooray for shower day!!! Mine was Sunday and our furniture arrives on 11/7. It is all so very real now, isn't it?

Geohde said...

Personally, I waddled in about a week after viability in direct contradiction of my bedrest rules and sat in the middle of the store and only picked from what they had in stock.

We got the recliner I sat in, too. :)

g

Mrs. Gamgee said...

You are not an ungrateful schmuck! :) I think that unsettled feeling is normal for most pregnant women. As infertiles, we feel that we should somehow be able to avoid all the normal worries once we actually get pregnant, but if anything I think our history intesifies those fears. We worked so hard, hoped for so long, now the idea that it's actually happening can be just as overpowering as the struggle to get to this point.

My two cents... go easy on yourself and talk about it as much as you need to.

ICLW