Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Home sweet home

After seven weeks, 35 additional commute hours (per person), countless take-out meals, and I-don't-even-want-to-think-about how many dollars, our remodel is done and we're HOME. Hooray.

The big part of the project was the bathroom remodel. We live in a 3/1 ranch, but didn't want to expand too much and price ourselves out of the market when we do eventually (please God) sell the house. So we opted to redo our existing bathroom, making it luxurious enough for the grown-ups AND durable enough for the kid.

Here's the old bathroom. As you can see, we had only a stand-up shower (no bath), a pedestal sink, and some interesting storage.


Here are a couple of pictures of the bathroom post-demo. We opted to move one wall 18 inches into our third bedroom/office, so that we could have a little extra room for the new tub setup and linen closet. You can probably see the nasty dirty termites crawling around -- their discovery set us back another couple grand, but we'd always suspected we had them so it was sort of a relief to deal with it already.


And now for the big reveal! On the right side, you'll see a new vanity, toilet, medicine cabinet and overjohn. We also installed new light fixtures, hardware, paint -- well, everything. Another nice space-saving change was the installation of a sliding pocket door (not pictured) -- now we don't have to make room for a big door swinging into the bathroom.

On the left side, we have a whirlpool tub/shower combo (sorry for the fuzziness in the second picture, and our new built-in linen/laundry closet. I didn't get any good pictures of the tub, but I've already logged some serious time and I will tell you it is HEAVEN. I am a huge bath fan and I can't believe I managed to live in a house for almost 4 years without one.

The other parts of the project were the replacement of hardwood floors in the bedrooms/office/hallway, since we'd had some termite damage and pretty much hated the floors that were in there. Here's one of our cats approving of the change (or maybe disapproving, it's hard to tell sometimes):

We also painted the baby's room, the office and the hallway. I'll save the nursery for some time when we actually have furniture (don't get me started on how long we've been waiting for THAT). The color turned out a wee bit, um, radioactive, so we might make another change. But hey, if one paint color is the worst misstep we had, I'm not complaining.

So there you have it -- the great Barefoot remodel of 2009.

15 comments:

K said...

Nice work. And you survived! I'm impressed!

babyinterrupted said...

Lovely! We did a bathroom remodel this spring and it is, indeed, super invasive. Glad you're doing well.

sunflowerchilde said...

Beautiful! I'm so jealous. One of these days I'll get a house that I can make pretty, too. I love it!

Sue said...

Beautiful! we did the same thing with the house we moved into...a 3/1 split level...where, in the tiny bathroom, you could sit on the toilet, brush your teeth in the mirror, and shower all at the same time! We had to cut into our master bedroom, but it was SOOOOO worth it! For a nice soaker tub and dual sinks:-) That remodel is sooooo worth it...and adds so much value to the house.

Michele said...

So nice!!! Congrats on getting that knocked off your to-do list!!

I love it!

~Michele

http://btw-wedidnotjustrelax.blogspot.com/

Amber said...

The bathroom is beautiful!! So nice to be home, I'm sure.

Emily said...

Beautiful! Enjoy it!!

Flower said...

Very nice. Can't wait to see the nursery.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous bathroom! I love the contrasting tile accent and the dark cabinets. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It look great, and congrats on managing to get it done before the baby arrives!

Michele said...

AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome!

I wish someone would come re-do my bathroom. We have an OLD OLD OLD farmhouse, and our single bathroom used to be a pantry when there was no indoor plumbing! Needless to say, it's super small. You can sit on the toilet, have a foot in the bathtub and wash your hands at the same time...not that you'd want to! lol

Anyway, it looks great! I love the pic of your cat!

Mo said...

Wow!!! Looks great! congratulations!

Mo

zengirl said...

Your new bathroom looks really great! I'm sure you'll have many wonderful relaxing baths in there!

"Jay" said...

The remodel came out great! What a relief to get that all done before the baby is here! I'm happy you have gotten your bathtime in already!