Thursday, May 24, 2012

Diary of a wimpy Barefoot

So, I have been practically beside myself all week, waiting for my scheduled sonohystogram (a/k/a saline sonogram) this morning. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, this is a procedure sort of like an embryo transfer -- they insert a catheter into your uterus, shoot some water up there, and then look around. In the words of my RE: "Sometimes, after pregnancy and childbirth, things aren't where they were the first time. So we like to take a look."

Sounds a little ominous, but OK!

So, I made the appointment last week and had been in a state of mild panic ever since. Because having a panoply of invasive infertility-related procedures, being pregnant, and giving birth have apparently done nothing to change the fact that I am a giant wimp. I'd even been debating about whether to take one of my leftover embryo transfer Valiums before the procedure-- I finally decided against, as I had some work to get done this afternoon -- but it was close. And I spent an INORDINATE amount of time thinking about it.

(I also spent some time -- BAD IDEA -- Googling the procedure, and read some absolutely horrific accounts. Why did I do this? Have I learned NOTHING?!?)

Anyway, so here's the funny thing. It turns out that I've had this EXACT SAME PROCEDURE before and didn't even remember. The nurse practitioner even showed me the notes in my chart (and the pictures), so I really must have been there! Must have been really traumatic, right?

(This is not to say that it's not traumatic/painful/etc. for some people. But clearly, based on my own past experience, I've been a bit of a drama queen.)

The procedure was no big deal. I mean, I'm never a fan of the speculum, but there was no pain, minimal discomfort, and the NP was very cool (and gentle). I'd also forgotten how neat it is to see all of your bits on the ultrasound. I mean, not quite as interesting as looking at a baby in there, but nice to see that I still have a uterus and 2 ovaries and both seem to still be in the right place.

So, all's well that ends well. Next steps: get my thyroid levels checked again in early June, and then hopefully get the party started with my next cycle. And try to avoid Google in the meantime....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You have nice web site i really like it
pregnancy



Thank


Irfan

Elle said...

So glad to see you are posting again! I just added you to my Google Reader so I won't miss anything. Excited that you're back in the stirrups, so to speak. Wow, a 95% thaw rate sounds fantastic. I had no idea that was even possible.

[btw, I had to take my blog private temporarily, not because I'm posting anything juicy -- I'm actually not posting at all -- but because I got spooked about who was reading it I'll be back eventually.]

babyinterrupted said...

Done with that sucker! Me too. I had also completely forgotten a.) what the procedure actually was (I was thinking of the squirt-dye-up-the-tubes thing) and b.) that I, too, had done it before. And it was equally uneventful. Keeping fingers crossed for your next steps.

K said...

Hiya....I always find it amusing that you don't post for months...and I don't read for months. And then, here you are. Sorta randomly. And here I am. Very randomly. I had the squirt and snoop procedure too. No biggy. Next.... :)
Hope you are well, in all respects.
Cheers,
K