Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Business travel blows

When I first started traveling for work, I was really excited. How glamorous! How jet-setting! I am a woman of the world! Sometimes when I talk to other people about the traveling I do, I get comments like "Ooooo, must be sooo nice," or "How exciting!"

Um, not so much. Don't get me wrong, there are some benefits -- room service, a comfy bed that gets made for me every day, accumulation of frequent flyer miles, etc. But just in case you're feeling envious of my jet! setting! lifestyle, here are some highlights from the last couple of days:

1. Waiting in a quarter-mile-long security line, in heels, surrounded by people wearing Mickey ears. (Yes, LAX.)

2. Sitting in front of a group of college girls, who are wondering aloud if the same thing that happened to the Air France flight would happen on ours.

3. Sitting next to a very nice man with very bad gas.

3. Dropping a Southwest honey-roasted peanut down my shirt.

4. Getting stuck with my seat belt on and the most horrible case of raging pregnancy bladder.

5. Realizing that I forgot to pack clean panties.

6. Spending $25 in the hotel lobby shop for new panties.

7. Wondering if I can sneak panty purchase onto my expense report.

8. Realizing that I don't fit into a plane seat quite as comfortably as I did 3 months ago.

9. Wondering why I didn't think ahead that morning sickness + smelly cab = potential disaster, and just rent a car.

The good thing is, it's over tomorrow.

Until next week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't imagine having to travel now. I hope you will be home soon!

Missy said...

I KWYM about first being excited to travel and then getting over it. Now I just wish I can stay home.

Gabby said...

i totally know what you mean about business travel. i traveled weekly for work for 10 years.. and just started staying in the same place.. partly to ttc and partly because it was actually good for my career..

when i would periodically do college recruiting years ago, and these kids said, "I love to travel" -- i always thought.. no, what you love to do is *vacation.* what we do is work in different places than we live.

right there with you - the good news is that you have an excuse to stop traveling soon! woo hoo!

Donna said...

Business travel is fun for a while - then it just gets OLD!!! Now that I don't travel as much I do miss it every so often - but not much...(maybe what I really miss are the frequent flyer miles!!!)

Me said...

I couldn't agree more. I love some of the places I've stayed - in Chicago, NYC and Boston, but I hate flying. It is the biggest pain in the ass! Good luck with your travels! Have a safe trip home!

Emily said...

Yuck! Love the bit about the panties :) Hope you are starting to feel a bit better...Safe travels.

Queenie. . . said...

I thought traveling for work was fabulous and exciting, too. . .until I had to travel for work. I once interviewed for a job I really wanted, that involved a ton of travel (and a ginormous salary), and was very sad when I didn't get it. Ten years later, I am VERY glad I didn't get it! And I've totally had the experience of forgetting the underwear. Except, I was stuck in a place that didn't even have a Walmart within 45 minutes. I literally could not buy new underwear. I had to wash the pair that I had on out every night for a week!